Wednesday, March 16, 2005

conversations overheard

While looking through books of poetry at Myopic waiting for the Double Door to unlock it's doors...I overheard this, "Do you want to hear something crazy? Somebody took a shit in the back of the store." I couldn't help but smile and giggle fiendishly to myself with thoughts in my head of how to further alienate myself from everyone. I did pick up a random book of poetry, The Love Suicide At Sonezaki by Siri Von Reis. A couple of examples of her work:

Available Soon In Stores, Judy,

the country's very first pregnant
doll, wears a denim maternity dress,

white tennis shoes and a wedding
ring. Even clever toddlers will be able

to help the ft. -high Mommy-to-Be
deliver an anatomically correct boy or

girl, with movable parts. Judy's
abdomen lifts off to pop the new baby

out, then flattens immediately.
(Little girls often stuff things into their

own underclothes or try to make
regular dolls look pregnant and pretend

smaller ones are their babies.)
Judy, though, has been called bizarre,

and a spokesperson for NOW now
says she conveys the distorted view

that women can look beautiful
and have babies all at the same time.

and one more that I love is:

A Composer Not Concerned with Melody,

harmony, rhythm, or timbre, Alvin Lucier
creates environments from feedback.

He holds a bowl over a microphone, or tapes
a familiar song and plays it in a teapot

while varying the sounds by lifting the lid.
Lucier has written for magnets and

ostrich eggs and once persuaded brain-waves,
amplified by electrodes, to make tones

that activated accelerating tapes, causing
percussion instruments to vibrate.

In one performance piece, Lucier records
his description of a work, then plays

the recording while re-recording the reading
with its acoustical reflections, which

thus grow in ever more resonating sequence.
Though his extended, imperceptibly

transforming music can irritate listeners,
Lucier insists that, when he elevates

tiny effects into celebrations of inner
workings, sound and space entwine

and the physical world sings.

My friends band URSA played at the Double Door tonight...nice to be finally on someone's guestlist and not having to put people on a guestlist. It felt weird just watching a show and not having to do something...almost uncomfortable. The whole night felt uncomfortable as I kept staring at my cellphone waiting for a phone call that never comes. I want to shoot holes in the moon...and tear the very fabric of space and time. I'm at a crossroads...decisions are having to be made...and I don't want to make them...wish someone else could make them for me. I feel the knots in my stomach like tiny baby fists...everything is coming to a head. It's going to overflow...and I'm thinking of clean slates...fresh starts...and a suprise twist in the story line.

I'm prepared for a long night...with no one to talk to...and a lot on my mind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kitten said...

"Fuck you." Overheard when a guy pushed someone in front of the train.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home